Renovating this Easter?
1st April 2015
Easter weekend marks the start for many homeowners carrying out home repairs and renovation work. Typically this involves getting the renovation crew in, which can be a stressful experience, which is why it is important when choosing a company to make sure you forge a good relationship right from the start, says the Federation of Master Builders (FMB).
Brian Berry, Chief Executive of the FMB, said: “We’ve spoken to a lot of homeowners recently who are planning home improvements this spring, but are worried about managing the relationship with their builder effectively. However, by following our top five tips for working with your builder, homeowners can ensure that their renovation projects are stress-free.” These are:
- Use a contract – make sure everything is agreed in writing before work starts, ensuring you list everything you would like done
- Set a payment schedule for installments to be paid as each stage of the project is completed
- Set the ground rules including what facilities your builders can and cannot use – for example upstairs toilets versus downstairs toilets – as well as agreeing start and finish times
- Clear away everything from the site where the building work will take place and ensure children and pets stay away while the builder is working
- Keep talking to your Project Manager about how things are going – this sounds obvious, however most problems occur when there is a breakdown in communication, so make sure you have regular progress meetings with them and if any issues arise, they’re dealt with quickly.